The United States has started taking action against individuals linked to the killing of US-based Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
On Tuesday, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said while investigations continue into The Washington Post columnist‘s killing, the administration has identified some individuals linked to Khashoggi’s death and have revoked their visas and entered visa lookouts.
While not specifying who the individuals were, Pompeo said the list included officials from the Saudi intelligence services, the royal court, foreign ministry, and other Saudi ministries.
The State Department is also working with the Treasury Department to review the applicability of the Global Magnitsky sanctions to those individuals, he said.
US Senators triggered the terms of the Global Magnitsky Act earlier this month, which requires the president to investigate and determine if a foreign person is responsible for Khashoggi’s death within 120 days.
“These penalties will not be the last word on this matter from the United States. We will continue to explore additional measures to hold those responsible accountable,” Pompeo said.
“We’re making very clear that the United States does not tolerate this kind of ruthless action to silence Mr Khashoggi, a journalist, through violence. We continue to maintain a strong partnership with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Neither the president nor I am happy with this situation.”
The writer disappeared on October 2 after entering the Saudi consulatein Istanbul to obtain documents needed to get married. On Saturday, the Saudi Arabian government confirmed Khashoggi was killed inside the consulate in what they said was a “fistfight” that escalated and led to his death.