Oatmeal has been a popular all-natural skincare ingredient for years. In fact, the use of oats in skin care has been noted as far back as 2000 B.C. As one of the few natural ingredients to receive recognition as a safe and effective ingredient, oatmeal provides various benefits to the overall health and care of your skin.
Oatmeal, whether it’s straight out-of-the-box or as an added ingredient in products, is good for your skin for many reasons. It is hypoallergenic, and even the most sensitive skin can use it without a reaction. Oatmeal also:
1. Creates a protective barrier – Skin care, body and bath products containing colloidal oatmeal (essentially oats that have been ground into a fine powder), may protect the skin. In 2003, the FDA approved colloidal oatmeal as a skin protectant.
2. Soothes – Oatmeal contains anti-inflammatory properties.
3. Moisturizes – Oats are full of fats that are moisturizing.
4. Cleanses – Oatmeal contains saponins, which have cleansing properties that remove dirt and oil. Oatmeal is an ideal ingredient for cleansers and soap.
5. Exfoliates – The texture of oatmeal is slightly rough and makes for a fantastic all-natural scrub.
According to Leaf, acne sufferers can benefit from oatmeal as a skin care ingredient. Oatmeal contains an antimicrobial ingredient, which inhibits the spread of bacteria, and oatmeal can soak up excess oil. Oatmeal masks are moisturizing without clogging pores.
Using oatmeal in skin care is inexpensive and is easy. Consider the following treatments that can be done in the comfort of your own home:
Oatmeal Bath: Dry, itchy skin and eczema sufferers can benefit from an oatmeal bath. It will leave the skin feeling soft and soothed. Grind 1 cup of oats in a food processor to a fine powder to create your own colloidal oatmeal. Add it to any bath and soak for at least 15 minutes.
Oatmeal Facial Cleanser: Create your own facial cleanser by taking a palm full of ground oats and mixing it with warm water and a teaspoon of honey to make a paste. Rub onto the skin in circular motions and rinse. All skin types can use it place of face wash.
Oatmeal Mask: An oatmeal mask soothes, adds moisture and provides exfoliation. Although it is suitable for all skin types, dry skin will benefit the most. Prepare a serving of old-fashioned oats as directed either with water or milk. Combine the serving of prepared oats with a spoonful of finely chopped almonds and a teaspoon of honey. Apply to the face and leave on for 10 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
Oatmeal Scrub: Suited to all skin types, this scrub will exfoliate dull skin. Mix 1 cup of oats with 1/4 cup sugar and a dollop of coconut oil. Rub in gentle circular motions on the body and face. Rinse with warm water.